I’m off to India tomorrow to visit family, and I’ve been spending the last few days planning what skincare items to take along with me. I don’t know if it’s the heat and the humidity, or the stress of being around family, but my skin always breaks out when I’m in India. Needless to say, I’ll be taking as many decongesting products with me as I possibly can! After a lot of planning, I’ve zeroed in on the following products to (hopefully) keep my skin (and the rest of me) zen and balanced:
I’ll be taking Rodin’s Cleansing Powder with me, just in case I feel like washing my face on the plane. Since it’s a powder, I won’t have to worry about liquid restrictions and such. In addition to the cleanser, I’ll be taking African Botanics Intense Skin Repair Balm, Ambuja’s Wanderlust Elixir, Julisis Eyemulsion, Yuli Cocoon Elixir and Slip silk eye mask with me in my carry-on.
A few weeks ago, when I happened to discuss my travel plans with Julia Noik of African Botanics, she recommended that I use their Intense Skin Repair Balm on the flight. Its thick balm-to-serum consistency will be perfect for countering the drying effects of the stale plane air. Ambuja’s Wanderlust Elixir is a recent discovery. The coconut water- based serum, with its outstanding list of ingredients, instantly plumps and lifts my skin and makes me look like I’ve had a good night’s sleep. I’ll need this not only on the plane but also when I land in India, when I’ll most likely be tired and jet lagged. I’ll do a full-length review of this product very soon. I decided to take the Eyemulsion with me because I remember Julius mentioning that he always travels with it. I still think it’s the best eye cream I’ve ever used.
What I’ll be Using In Kerala:
My skin always feels oily, sticky and grimy in Kerala (which is the part of India I’ll be spending most of my time in), so I’ll need cleansers, exfoliators and masks that are more heavy duty than usual. Moisturisers and oils, on the other hand, will need to be extra light and airy, so my skin can still breathe in the oppressive mugginess. It’s technically winter now, but I just checked the weather and it’s 32 degrees today!
After some careful consideration (I think I sound much more organised than I actually am, but I guess that’s not a bad thing!), I’ve decided to take the following skin and hair products with me:
- Cleanse & Exfoliate: African Botanics Cleanser and Scrub – I know they both work well on my skin. I may run out of the cleanser when I’m there, but I still have the Rodin as a backup. These were the natural picks for me because in addition to being great products, the packaging is light and travel friendly. I’ll also have Living Libations Sandalwood Best Skin Ever for all my pre-cleansing needs.
- Mask: Omorovicza Deep Cleansing Mask – A new favourite, this is both purifying and gentle (after an initial tingling sensation). I’m sure it will work well in India.
- Mist: I had 12 mists to choose from, but I ended up going with Yuli’s Panacea Elixir simply because it’s very decongesting (it’s also packed in a relatively smaller bottle than my other favourites).
- Cream: Argentum’s La Potion Infinie is currently one of my favourite products. It keeps skin clear, helps with scarring, lifts and moisturises. There is nothing this can’t seem to do, and I can’t imagine being without it.
- Emulsion: Julisis Day Emulsion: Similar in texture to a cream, it’s one of my go-to products when my skin is in crisis. It heals everything, from burns to pimples. Another can’t-live-without product for me.
- Oils: I decided to take Yuli’s M.E. Skin Fuel because it’s one of the lightest oils in my collection. I love how versatile and purifying it is. African Botanics Fleurs d’Afrique continues to wow me, and I still think it’s the best face oil on the market. Can’t imagine being without it, either. I’ll also be taking my Living Libations Everybody Loves The Sunshine sunscreen oil (not pictured) with me.
- Spot Treatments: I’m taking my beloved Odacite Black Cumin + Cajeput oil concentrate, along with Mukti Organics Clarifying Balm, a new favourite, to banish any pimples I may get.
- Shampoo: I bought the Yarok shampoo online thinking it would be big enough for the trip, but it’s tiny! My current Mukti Organics shampoo is massive, so I will have to decant some of that into another bottle so I can use that as a shampoo/body wash during the trip.
- Conditioner/Styling (not pictured): I don’t own any travel sized conditioners or styling products at this point, so I’ll take my full size Tabitha James Karaan Conditioner and Rahua Cream Wax along.
- Deodorant/Fragrance: I’ll be taking Axilla Deodorant from Black Chicken Remedies with me. I didn’t really care for the old version, but the new version is smooth, creamy and very effective. I genuinely love both of Julisis’s fragrances. I started this post thinking I’d only take the day fragrance, but I think I’ll live it up and take the night one with me as well.
I guess I’ll be in India when I write my next blog post, so until then, au revoir!